"Three is hard." "When you have three, they out number you." "Three is the hardest transition."
These are all phrases I kept hearing people say over and over. So I thought when I was expecting my second baby that I would be just fine. It's only two, I have two hands. There are two of us, we can do it.
What I didn't realize, and what no one mentioned was how time consuming adding one more child is. It's not that it's super hard. I have done it all before. But I just hardly have any free time. For me, this is difficult. I am the type of person who needs alone time to decompress and relax for a minute. I am a much happier person, mom, and wife if I get a little time to myself each day. But with two kids it is a lot harder to find that time.
I attempt to have them both nap at the same time, but I am lucky if that happens once a week. Lucy is also a short napper, so that doesn't help.
But don't get me wrong, I love being a mom, and I wouldn't trade it for the world! Many parents have it much harder than I do. I feel blessed to be able to call these girls mine. I am doing just fine. I was just unaware of how all-consuming the transition would be.
I think part of it is also that Quincy wasn't used to having another child around that takes me away from her needs. I am getting used to sharing myself with two little people as well.
Once I started telling people that it had been harder than I thought it would be, they started to tell me how hard of a transition it was for them to have two vs one as well. I felt much better once I realized I wasn't alone. I finally started hearing "oh yeah, two was probably my hardest transition," and "I forgot how hard it was to have a second baby."
How nice it is to know you aren't alone in your feelings! We are coming up on 6 months with two children, and I am finally feeling a better groove. Maybe once Lucy starts sleeping better it will be even easier ;)

Good post! I repeat Elder Holland's Oct 2015 words a lot: "Remember...you are doing better than you think you are."
ReplyDeleteSuch a great talk!
Delete