Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Lucia's Namesake




Happy half birthday Lucy! Can't believe you are already six months old and almost sitting all by yourself! Love you sweet girl!

On our road trip to Connecticut last summer I was 15 weeks pregnant. Names were definitely on my mind even though we didn't know the gender of the baby yet.

I really want our children's names to have meaning to us. Not just some name we picked out of a book because we liked it. I liked that Quincy reminds me of our time in Montana and our road trip to the Pacific Northwest. Quincy's middle name Aida is also meaningful- after her great great grandmother Naida. 

Back to the story of Lucy. I was searching for something meaningful. Hoping that a name would stick out while we spent our summer on the East Coast. 

We were in Palmyra, New York getting a tour of the Smith farm. Such a beautiful and peaceful place surrounded by trees and tall green grass. I was asked to read a quote from a marvelous woman of history named Lucy. As I read the quote I had a strong impression about this name. I did not mention anything of it to Jordan as we continued our tour. 

Later that day in the car I asked Jordan "what do you think of the name Lucy?" All he did was look at me and say "you felt that too?" 

I didn't think too much about it for a while, since we still didn't know the gender of the baby. But a few weeks later we found out it was a girl.

We chatted about names. But every time I tried to think of naming this baby another name I could not. I could not look at other names. It gave me anxiety every time. It was the strangest thing. I started to try and think of names that we could shorten to Lucy, and I brought up a few to Jordan. But he didn't like any of them. He just liked Lucy.

We had a few other names that we agreed upon, but those names were not for this baby. 

I was frustrated. There were a few things that were holding me back from naming her Lucy. I did not like the repetitive endings of Quincy and Lucy. People were already confusing Tessi and Quincy. How could I throw another one in there? And I also did not like how popular the name Lucy was getting. These were the main reasons I wanted to find a longer version of Lucy. I also was really wanting to use the name Cherie for her middle name, which is my mother's middle name. 

I wasn't fond of Lucy Cherie together. But I did like Lucia with Cherie. I brought up this option to Jordan, he didn't love the idea. It took almost the entire pregnancy and day in the hospital to convince him ;) 

But he finally saw my reasoning. He liked the idea of naming her Lucia after his mother Linda (having the first and last letter the same.) Lucia is also a more popular name in Brazil, which is where he served a two year mission for our church. We had been wanting to tie Brazil into a name for one of our children. In Brazil they pronounce it Loo-see-ah which is how we wanted to pronounce it. Which also makes it an easier way to shorten to Lucy. 

And so she became Lucia Cherie

Lucia means light (Loo-see-ah)
Cherie means darling (Sh-ree)

A perfect name and perfect meaning for this little darling who brings so much light and happiness to our family. We love you Lucy! Even if you tried to name yourself  ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment