The middle of March in 2010 was cold and snowy. Jordan was on spring break, but it was not very spring-like outside. We had made plans to have a little date on that Saturday. We were going to take a picnic up to Provo Falls (one of my favorite spots.) We sat in the cozy sandwich shop waiting for our sandwiches to be made, and we waited and waited some more. I could tell Jordan was a little antsy, but he seemed a bit more antsy than normal. I decided to brush it off and mentioned that maybe they forgot about our sandwiches. Jordan went up and asked about it, sure enough they forgot. After we finally had our sandwiches, we started driving up the canyon. About half way up, we noticed the road was still closed for winter. So, we turned around and ended up in the same spot where we first said I love you. Read that story here.
All bundled up as the snow was blowing around us, we found a dry patch under a tall pine tree. Laid out my picnic blanket and started to eat. Jordan ate half of his sandwich and then started pulling some puzzle pieces out of his pocket. My first thought was "hmm he didn't finish his sandwich, that's unusual." Again I just brushed it off as he asked if I wanted to put together this puzzle he made. I put it all together and it was a cute heart shaped photo of us from when we first started dating. Then he pulled out another puzzle and I put that one together. A heart shaped photo of us standing out front of the temple, from just a few days ago. I asked him how he made these puzzles and he mentioned finding a cool machine at the store that did it for him. He then starts pulling some pieces of a blank puzzle out of his pocket. He said nonchalantly "you can put that one together if you want." So I start putting it together and then tell him that it's missing a few pieces. He looks around and we find one of the pieces then he says maybe I'm sitting on the other one, so I move slightly to look for it. As I look up to tell him that it's not there, I see him kneeling in front of me on one knee. He then says "the only missing piece of the puzzle is you," and he gives me the last piece on which he had written YOU. Then he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small brown box. Opens it to show the most dazzling diamond ring I had ever seen. Maybe it was the snow that reflected on it, but it was extra sparkly. It was the exact ring that I had been wanting, I had shown him a picture a few weeks before, but I thought it would be too expensive. He surprised me with it and not only could I not believe my eyes, but I couldn't believe my ears when he said "Tessi Ruth, will you marry me?" The butterflies flew in my stomach as I said "yes!" and jumped up to give him a hug and a kiss or two or three.

That is so creative! And sweet! You know something is up when our men don't finish their food ;)
ReplyDeleteHa! Yes, he was a college athlete at the time too, so that was very unusual ;)
Delete