Monday, October 29, 2018

Halloween Cookies with Recipe

I love to bake sugar cookies. Well...mostly I love to decorate them. It's a labor of love for sure! Mix, roll, cut, bake, frosting, decorate. So, we typically only get around to it twice a year. But, the girls love it just as much as I do! It will be a tradition we continue I'm sure. We typically bake them around Halloween and Easter.

The frosting I like to use is royal frosting. It is more runny than your typical "spreadable frosting." So I like to put it into ziploc bags and cut a tiny hole in one corner. They are easy for the kids to hold, you can have multiple bags of one color (so no arguing happens), and it makes for easy clean up too! I recommend starting with a border around the cookie of the frosting, and then continue to fill it in. It's fun to let one layer dry and then add the eyes, leaves, or other decorations on the top. That will give it more dimension! Let me know in the comments if you would like to see a tutorial next time we get around to baking cookies :) Recipes found below!






Montana Sugar Cookies
(Recipe from Helena 3rd Ward Cookbook)
1 cup butter
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
3 eggs
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
Add eggs and vanilla.
Sift dry ingredients together and add into first mixture.
Chill 15 minutes.
Roll out (1/8 ish inch) and cut out.
Bake at 350F for 7-8 minutes until done but not brown.


Royal Frosting Recipe
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
food coloring

I typically do about 3x this recipe to begin with.
Mix it all together then split to add food coloring.
*It can be difficult to mix at first, but don't add more milk until the initial milk is incorporated. Otherwise it may be too runny. If it becomes too runny just add more powdered sugar. The consistency should be slowly runny almost like a thick soup.
Put into individual bags and cut a TINY hole in the corner.

Decorate! Then Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment